LinkedIn – #1 Question Asked: How do I find and connect with my target audience?
- Go to the top, right-hand corner of the screen (where you can search for people)
- To the right of the “Search” is a magnifying glass, then a small blue button that reads “Advanced”
- Click on that button – this is where you will define parameters for your search
- If you are looking for local contacts, a good way to start is by entering your zip code and then determining how many miles, within that code, you would like to search. Example: 01234, within 25 miles
- Add keywords for your audience search. Example: small business
- You can also scroll down and select specific industries you want to target. Example: Health, Wellness & Fitness
Because LinkedIn often requires an email address of the person whom you wish to connect, I would recommend joining groups and connecting to people within that group. Here’s how:
- Join a group. Example: Social Media Today
- Once in that group, select the “Members” button. On the left-hand side, you will see a search option
- Add a keyword and hit “Search.” Example: accounting
- A list of people will appear. These are people who use that keyword in his or her title or profile
Facebook – #1 Question Asked: There is way too much personal information on Facebook. Is there a way to filter my news feed to focus on certain groups of people?
Yes, create and use friend lists! Here’s how:
Option 1: (best for those just starting out or who have 100 friends or less)
- Click on the “Friends” button
- Click on “Create a List”
- Name the list Examples: family, high school, colleagues
- Select the Friends you would like to add
Option 2: (best for users who already have a high number of friends)
- Go to the “Account” Tab
- Select “Edit Friends”
- Select “Create a List”
- Select Friends to join that list
You can create more lists based on how you want to categorize the items. You can filter your news feed and your posts/messages by using these lists.
Do you have a burning social media question? Would you like information related to a specific medium or how to use it to market your business? Leave a comment here!